Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Better poor man’s blackberry

I found a better solution to my previous post. This requires a phone that supports IMAP and IMAP's IDLE. As always, a Japanese-capable phone is necessary for my case, and this time I resorted to using 702NKII (Vodafone KK's version of Nokia 6680). Some sites such as this says that built-in email application on S60 phones could not retrieve email from Gmail for lack of support of SSL, but it's not true, at least for this Nokia 6680. Here are the steps toward a better poor man's blackberry:

gmail-imap-on-nokia6680.jpg

1. Create a Gmail account dedicated for this purpose
This is necessary since I have gigabytes of mails on my Gmail account and it seems that as is with Thunderbird this Nokia 6680 will try to get headers of all of these mails... So I created a dedicated address and I am going to forward only necessary mails and I am going to delete frequently.

2. Set up email client on Nokia 6680
Go to "Messages" then create a new mailbox. On Mailbox settings, set the access point to the one known to work (in my case I am already able to access Gmail via Java client using Indosat Matrix access point so I am using this), set "My e-mail address" to the address created above, set outgoing mail server to "smtp.gmail.com", set "User name" to the mail address created above, set "Incoming mail server" to "imap.gmail.com" and "Mailbox type" to "IMAP4", set "Security (ports)" to "On (993/995)", and set the rest appropriately. On "Automatic retrieval", set "Header retrieval" to "Always on", set "Retrieval interval" to "Every 5 minutes" to get the effect of push mail, and set other parts as prefered.

That's it. I have tried and the phone plays the sound to notify new mail a few minutes after I sent mail to the above gmail address. I didn't do much testing because I am using Matrix's GPRS on international roaming...

No comments: